Parenting remains the most rewarding, yet most challenging thing, I have done.
A few weeks after Benjamin was born, I described the experience on National Radio as this:
“In 2013 I ran the New York Marathon and it was the hardest thing I had ever done up until then.
In 2014 I did a 17 day trek to Everest Base Camp and it was the hardest thing I had ever done up until then.
In 2015 I summited Mt Kilimanjaro which is around 6,000 metres above sea level and it was the hardest thing I had ever done up until then.
In 2016 I became a parent and it is the hardest thing I have ever done”
Every parent’s experience is different but I thought I’d share some stuff which may be of help to other parents or soon to be parents.
We did our antenatal course through the Wellington North Parents Centre. It was excellent preparation with a great tutor. We also became good friends with the other parents in the group and catch up with them regularly and every year have a joint birthday party for all the kids. They also have an excellent baby and you course for parents with new borns.
Good child-friendly cafes:
- Chocolate Fish) – outdoor area has a trampoline, scooters, play gear and more. One of our favourites.
- Rata Café, Zealandia – great food and service, toys for kids and can take them for a walk or stroller push through the sanctuary afterwards
- Southern Cross – great kids menu, hosts lots of kids events including free massages for parents
- Picnic Café, Botanic Gardens – outdoor area good for kids and afterwards can take them to the big play area
- Scorch-O-Rama – good collection of toys
- Avalon Park – our favourite. Huge area and variety and some water engineering toys for kids who like to make water flow.
- Aotea Lagoon – the water park is fantastic for kids and parents who like huge buckets of water dropping on them.
- George Denton Park – very quiet and hidden. Hear the birds and may see some rabbits.
- Botanic Garden playground – suitable for small and bigger kids.
- Homebush Road Playground – amazing views of Wellington so more for relaxing the parents but fun stuff for the kids also
- Khandallah Park – mainly under the canopy so can play in the shade. Also has a brand new flying fox plus next to the swimming pool to cool off afterwards.
- Central Park – has three flying foxes. Wheeee.